[sane-devel] Reading /dev/usb/hiddev0

Tue, 11 May 2004 21:15:30 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 03:23:17AM -0700, Peter Mark Guevarra wrote:
> Does anyone know how to read /dev/usb/hiddev0 correctly in Red Hat 8.0?
> Do I need to make some necessary settings to read it correctly?
> I'm just wondering if I can use this approach in catching the button press event,
> and I believe that the scan button is
> treated as an HID interface (since hid driver was loaded)
> where data can be read through /dev/usb/hiddev0.

I have never heard about a scanner which presents its buttons as a
HID. But you never know ...
You should be able to find out if that's really the case by looking at
the output of "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices". If you can see the scanner
there and it has two interface and one is of USB class HID you may be
right.

The device files and their usage is explained in the Linux kernel
source: Documentation/usb/hiddev.txt.