[sane-devel] compilation problem under HP-UX

Ulrich Deiters ukd@xenon.pc.Uni-Koeln.DE
Tue, 25 May 2004 11:44:27 +0200 (METDST)

> Our configure script/Makefiles don't set any optimisation at all as
> far as I can see. Is that done by autoconf or libtool?

The file README.hp-ux tells how to compile under HP-UX using
the Hewlett-Packard compiler, and here an optimization option is
specified. I think it is good technique to turn optimization on
for RISC machines, hence the example line should be kept; it would
be good, however, to warn against higher level optimizations:

...   For the HP compiler, invoke configure like this:

  CC=cc CFLAGS="-Ae -O" ./configure

Higher optimization levels than -O (equivalent to +O2) may fail
to compile correctly. ...

Best regards,

Ulrich Deiters