[sane-devel] SUSE9.1: sane-port in /etc/services

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
Tue, 25 May 2004 19:25:28 +0900

Hi every1,

While test driving "Image Scan! for Linux" on the SUSE 9.1 beta, I
bumped into a little problem that all of a sudden the net backend
failed to find my (localhost) scanner.

Checking out the configuration, I found

  sane-port       6566/tcp   SANE Control Port
  sane-port       6566/udp   SANE Control Port
  #                          Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de> October 2002

in /etc/services.  It appears that the IANA has assigned this (I just
pasted the above from http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers).

Dropping the -port part was all that I had to do to get my networked
scanner detected again.

Contacting SUSE about this, they replied that they were not going to
'fix' this because it was IANA-assigned.  In a way, I guess they are
correct, but looking at the net backend in CVS it still uses "sane".
I realise that the error handling takes care of assigning the default
port number anyway if "sane" is not found.  However, I have *no* idea
why this "sane-port" would cause my networked scanner not to be found
anymore.

FYI, there is *nothing* in the "Image Scan! for Linux" sources that
uses the "sane" string.

Any1 have a clue?  ...  Sorry, the clue bat hit me while writing this.

Changing the service name to sane-port in the xinetd configuration
also fixes the problem!

So that leaves me with the question how this is best fixed:

 1) badgering IANA to change it to sane
 2) preparing a patch for the net backend, its manual page and any
    other docs that refer to the "sane" service
    # This sane/sane-port confusion will likely become FAQ, btw.

Suggestions any1?
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, PF1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/