[sane-devel] scanimage works only from root

Jack Dodds brmdamon@aci.on.ca
Thu, 27 May 2004 05:43:48 -0400

I have an Epson 1260 USB scanner.

I am running Woody, with the latest Sane backport from
people.debian.org/~aurel32/sane.html.

Under both root and my own user account, sane-find-scanner returns:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x011d, chip=LM983x?) at
libusb:002:003

Under root, scanimage --list-devices gives

device `plustek:libusb:002:003' is a Epson Perfection 1260/Photo USB
flatbed scanner
... and I can actually scan a page using scanimage -d
plustek:libusb:002:003 --format pnm >outfile.pnm

But, under my own user account, scanimage --list-devices gives

scanimage: no SANE devices found

Obviously there is a permission problem of some kind.
However, my own user account is a member of "video" and "scanner".

The entries in /dev/usb are members of group "video" and have -rw-rw-rw
permissions.

I'm not sure if it is relevant, but on boot I get the messages
(0x4b8/0x11d is the Epson 1260):

usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner
scanner.c: 0.4.6:USB Scanner Driver
usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x4b8/0x11d) is not claimed by any active
driver.
scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data

Help!

Jack Dodds

--
GNU Privacy Guard