[sane-devel] Using sane on Suse 9.1

Fri, 28 May 2004 19:53:20 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 09:27:48AM -0400, Brad McNeely wrote:
> When I upgraded from SuSE 8.2 to SuSE 9.1 I lost the ability to use
> my HP scanjet 3300C scanner.  It was recommended that I use
> sane-backends-1.0.14.tar.gz.

That's right for scanners that are supported by the backends that come
with sane-backends. However, the HP ScanJet 3300C is supported by a
so-called external backend. That means that there is a backend called
"niash", but it doesn't come with sane-backends yet. Probably SuSE
provided an additional package for that scanner or a package with some
extrenal backends. At least that's the case on Debian.

If you want to build the backend yourself, see the niash backend homepage:
http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~bertrik/hp3300c/index.html