[sane-devel] My Epson Perfection 636 (SCSI) no longer works?

Frédéric Brière fbriere@fbriere.net
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 06:21:31 -0500

For some unknown reason, my scanner (Epson Perfection 636 SCSI) is no
longer recognized by libsane, even though it worked fine a few months
ago.  Any help would be appreciated, because I can't make heads or tails
about this.

Kernel output:

  Vendor: EPSON     Model: Perfection636     Rev: 1.14
  Type:   Processor                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0,  type 3

[fbriere] toroia:~ $ sane-find-scanner
found SCSI processor "EPSON Perfection636 1.14" at /dev/scanner
found SCSI processor "EPSON Perfection636 1.14" at /dev/sg0

[fbriere] toroia:~ $ grep -v '^#' /etc/sane.d/epson.conf
scsi EPSON

[fbriere] toroia:~ $ SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255 SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=255 scanimage
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of epson to 255.
[epson] sane_init: sane-backends 1.0.14
[epson] sane_init, ># epson.conf<
[epson] sane_init, >#<
[epson] sane_init, ># here are some examples for how to configure the EPSON backend<
[epson] sane_init, >#<
[epson] sane_init, ># SCSI scanner:<
[epson] sane_init, >#scsi EPSON<
[epson] sane_init, >scsi /dev/scanner<
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of sanei_scsi to 255.
[epson] sane_init, >#<
[epson] sane_init, ># Parallel port scanner:<
[epson] sane_init, >#pio 0x278<
[epson] sane_init, >#pio 0x378<
[epson] sane_init, >#pio 0x3BC<
[epson] sane_init, >#<
[epson] sane_init, ># USB scanner:<
[epson] sane_init, ># There are two different methods of configuring a USB scanner: libusb and the kernel module<
[epson] sane_init, ># For any system with libusb support (which is pretty much any recent Linux distribution) the<
[epson] sane_init, ># following line is sufficient. This however assumes that the connected scanner (or to be more<
[epson] sane_init, ># accurate, it's device ID) is known to the backend.<
[epson] sane_init, >#usb<
[epson] sane_init, ># For libusb support for unknown scanners use the following command<
[epson] sane_init, ># usb <product ID> <device ID><
[epson] sane_init, ># e.g.:<
[epson] sane_init, ># usb 0x4b8 0x110<
[epson] sane_init, ># And for the scanner module, use the following configuration:<
[epson] sane_init, >#usb /dev/usbscanner0<
[epson] sane_init, >#usb /dev/usb/scanner0<
[epson] sane_get_devices()
scanimage: no SANE devices found

--
             Frédéric Brière    <*>    fbriere@fbriere.net