[sane-devel] [patch] fix SANE_Device

fzago@austin.rr.com fzago@austin.rr.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:58:54 -0600

> Hello Frank.
>
> I am not a fan of this patch.
> I think it will work but I think it is a hack.
>
> It seems that only a few backends have problems with this.

A few backend are creating the name of the manufacturer from the scsi inquiry.
A lot of backends are creating their mode list from the device.
This patch will allow us to get rid of about 150 (IMO legitimate) warnings. The current code is not clean.

> Why not fix it in a proper way:

The non hack solution is to have two headers: one for the symbols exported and one for internal use. Same as what is done with the linux kernel structure s.

> create the strings as non const and then set the
> sane_device structur to point to these strings?!

This will not work. That why there is so much warnings.

> But when I am the only one who is against this patch
> then I will be quiet and it will be ok for me. It is nothing
> that will steal my sleep :)

Your input is appreciated. Thanks.

Frank.