[sane-devel] Fixing 64 bit problems in sanei code and several backends

Sun, 3 Oct 2004 16:04:39 +0200

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to fix bug #300814:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=300814&group_id=30186&atid=410366
and #300799:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=300799&group_id=30186&atid=410366

Most of these warnings are caused by the assumption that size_t is
always 4 bits. E.g.:

size_t hubba;
printf ("hubba=%d\n", hubba);

See doc/backend-writing.txt for details.

Unfortunately the patch attached to the bug report can't be used
directly as it assumes that all platforms are 64 bit. So I'll try to
fix all the obvious problems manually like this:

printf ("hubba=%lu\n", (u_long) hubba);

As there are many size_t = 4 byte assumptions throughout the code of
SANE, the changes will touch many backends. Instead of creating bug
reports or mailing every single maintainer for some on e liner patches
I intend to change the code in CVS directly also for the backends.

If anybody doesn't like this approach please tell me.