[sane-devel] FreeBSD 5.2.1 and Mustek 2400CU Plus

Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:46:03 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 11:46:43PM +0300, Linas Valiukas wrote:
> I'm using FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE on i386 and sane-backends-1.0.14_1 (from
> ports). Also I have Mustek 2400CU Plus connected to USB port.
>
> My problem is that after scanning something I have to reattach my scanner
> (detach and attach again the USB cable), because SANE doesn't find my scanner
> anymore.

That's a known issue. It happens with all scanners supported by the
gt68xx backend on all *BSD systems I've tested. I've tried to find the
reason for this but haven't been successful until now. But I'll try
again.

> I've checked output of usbdevs (command, which shows attached USB devices).
> Before scanning:
>
> %usbdevs
> addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
>  addr 2: USB Scanner, Mustek Systems
>
> ...and after:
> %usbdevs
> addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
>  addr 2: ?????, Mustek Systems

If you enable debugging for USB (SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=255) you'll see
that the scanner doesn't respond to a request sending its descriptors
after the first scan.

> It looks like that after using my BearPaw, system can't find out that device
> on addr 1 is a scanner. Also, when I'm scanning multiple pages with scanadf,
> I can scan them all (I don't get "No scanners were identified" error between
> scans).

The error happens after the scanner is accessed AND its file
descriptor is closed for the first time. E.g. you can scan using xsane
for multiple times as long as you don't close xsane.