[sane-devel] No device available

abel deuring adeuring@gmx.net
Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:30:46 +0200

jurek Ela Tryjarscy wrote:
> Hi ,
> In my box I have Redhat 9.
> I must connect via SCSI Interface Umax Mirage II scanner.
> SCSI adapter is Acard AEC-6712TU.

> Linux System logs contain:
>
> Oct  4 19:19:05 localhost kernel:    ACARD AEC-671X PCI Ultra/W SCSI-3
> Host Adapter: 0    IO:1000, IRQ:11.
> Oct  4 19:19:05 localhost kernel:          ID:  7  Host Adapter
> Oct  4 19:19:05 localhost kernel: scsi0 : ACARD AEC-6710/6712/67160 PCI
> Ultra/W/LVD SCSI-3 Adapter Driver V2.6+ac

I have never used the atp870u driver, but I assume that this driver
should print some message about the devices it detected on the bus as
other drivers do. In other words: for some reason it could not find the
scanner.

> My qustion is:
> How to install correctly the scanner and the scsi adapter - I must make
> any mistake.
> I do:
> modprobe sg
> modprobe atp870u
>
> [root@localhost scsi]# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> atp870u                23856   0  (unused)
> sg                     36524   0  (unused)
> scsi_mod              107160   2  [atp870u sg]
> ide-cd                 35676   0  (autoclean)
> cdrom                  33728   0  (autoclean) [ide-cd]
> parport_pc             19076   1  (autoclean)
> lp                      8996   0  (autoclean)
> parport                37056   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
> autofs                 13268   0  (autoclean) (unused)
> 8139too                18120   1
> mii                     3976   0  [8139too]
> keybdev                 2976   0  (unused)
> mousedev                5492   1
> hid                    22148   0  (unused)
> input                   5888   0  [keybdev mousedev hid]
> usb-uhci               26348   0  (unused)
> usbcore                78816   1  [hid usb-uhci]
> ext3                   70784   2
> jbd                    51892   2  [ext3]
>
> [root@localhost root]# ls  /proc/scsi
> atp870u  scsi
>
> [root@localhost scsi]# more  scsi
> Attached devices: none

here you should get 3 lines describing the scanner.

> I think it should be also sg directory in  /proc/scsi

yes -- but I don't know, if the SG driver creates this directory, if it
does not see any devices.

> [root@localhost root]# sane-find-scanner
>
> # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
> that

that's because sane-find-scanner simply reads /proc/scsi/scsi, and this
file is empty.

> # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
> # Also you need support for SCSI Generic (sg) in your operating system.
> # If using Linux, try "modprobe sg".
>
> Can anyone help me ?

I don't have a really good hint. The core problem is that the atp870u
driver does not find the scanner, hence any attempt to access it will
fail. Unfortunately the kernel sources don't seem to contain useful
documentation e.g. about module parameters.

A very simple attempt could be to issue the command

	echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 6 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

If the atp870u driver performs a bus reset and does not wait long enough
for SCSI devices to finish their "reset procedure", it will not find the
scanner, when it scans the bus for devices after the reset.

Abel