[sane-devel] Two xsane-Win32-0.96 annoyancies

peder peder@park.se
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:29:19 +0200 (CEST)

 Thanx for a nifty port.

 I've been happlily using xsane in out school network for a couple of
 years. We have 5 old linux boxes scattered around the place as scanner
 servers and the WinXP/Win98-clients use xsane to connect.

 However there are two issues.

 The minor one: Is there a technical reason why the program has to
 be installed to c:\sane? Can't the program search for it's files
 using perhaps a XSANE variable or in current directory?
 I like to have the program installed on the server so I can upgrade
 it for every user and not having to walk around 300+ PC's.
 This works in 0.90 on Win98 but not on WinXP for some reason.
 In 0.96 it works on neither.

 I found out you only have to put some files in c:\sane so I can
 distribute those every time, so this issue is not a biggie.

 The major one: In xsane-0.83 and 0.90 I could run
 'xsane.exe ip-of-scan-server:device'. In 0.96 this doesn't work; I have
 to add all my servers in net.conf, wait for xsane to "scan for devices"
 and choose the right one from five nearly identical entries.
 Maybe I can pick the right one but definitely not my users.
 Can we please have the scan-server argument back?

 FYI, version 0.90 was much faster than 0.96. I tried them on a
 400MHz and 0.96 was really sluggish, perhaps due to newer gtk versions.

 Regards,

 Peder Hedlund