[sane-devel] Re: strange problems LIDE30

Chris McKeever Chris McKeever <techjedi@gmail.com>
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 08:48:22 -0500

n Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:01:59 +0200, Gerhard Jaeger <gerhard@gjaeger.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> let's try and shed some light on the plustek-backend and the LiDE30
> scanner:
>
> - The scanner is a USB1.1 device, as the used chipset, a LM9833 is only
>   capable to do USB1.1.
> - The LM9833 is able to scan @ 8bit per color-channel or @ 16bit
>   where did you get the "full-color" from? You either scan with the
>   "color" option, then it's 8bit per channel or you scan with the
>   "color 42/48" option, then it's 16bit.
> - The LiDE30 is able to scan @1200dpi in X direction, because it's the
>   native resolution of the sensor, and the motor is able to do 2400dpi
>   steps. Therefore X direction information is doubled.
> - The backend does some calibration @ the start of each scan, this might
>   take a while. This time has also been increased from 1.0.13 up to 1.0.14
>   This is necessary to avoid stripes. To reduce the time, it's now possible
>   to let the backend save the information of the coarse calibration
>   (option cacheCalData in the config file, or --calibration-cache=yes for
>    scanimage). This is working for the latest CVs snapshots.

Thanks everyone for all your information! - I have gotten it all
working, and just want to summarize (again) what was laerned found

- yes the canon 30 is only 1.1USB
- when moving from a 2.4 kernel to a 2.6 kernel the startup time for the scanner
decreased significantly (I think the is a libusb v. scanner.o issue).
I am now able to remote scan @ 1200 (it is however slow)
- originally I had a generic USB2 card - that was causing me some
grief in-and-of-itself with the scanner, dropping it to the onboard
1.1 solved at least some of the issue
- I am using the stock kernel and libusb from SUSE 9.1 (2.6.5) - I am
not having any issue thus far w/ 1.0.14

once again - thanks