[sane-devel] Epson 2480 not detected

David Whysong dwhysong@physics.ucsb.edu
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 21:07:07 -0700

Hi,

I read the previous reports about making this scanner work, but I have
had no luck.

I removed the SANE frontend and backend RPMs, then downloaded and
compiled the current CVS backend. I copied the hotplug scripts to
/etc/hotplug/usb, extracted the firmware and put the proper path and
the vendor/device ID line in the /usr/local/etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf
file.

Here is what I have:

[dwhysong@sleepy sane-backends]$ sane-find-scanner
[...]
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0121 [EPSON
Scanner]) at libusb:001:011
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
[...]

[dwhysong@sleepy sane-backends]$ scanimage -L

I have rw permissions for the /proc/bus/usb/001/011 file.

The other "curiosity" is this. Upon connecting the USB cable, I see:

Oct  9 21:04:22 sleepy kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device
using address 12
Oct  9 21:04:22 sleepy /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Bad USB agent invocation
Oct  9 21:04:25 sleepy /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup libusbscanner for
USB product 4b8/121/110
Oct  9 21:04:25 sleepy /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Module setup
libusbscanner for USB product 4b8/121/110
Oct  9 21:04:26 sleepy devlabel: devlabel service started/restarted

I'm not sure why I'm getting "Bad USB agent invocation" -- that
happens when the $PRODUCT or $ACTION variables are not defined for
usb.agent (and I verified that neither are defined). But it seems to
run the libusbscanner script, so I'm guessing the real problem does
not lie with the hotplug scritps.

Kernel 2.6.6-rc1, x86_64 architecture.

Any suggestions?

--