[sane-devel] xsane-win32

Adam Felix Bogacki afb@paradise.net.nz
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:41:33 +1300

Sorry Oliver. I removed and re-installed  Epson Smart Panel for Scanner
and Twain and it
recognised the scanner and was usable. However, xsane springs into action,
shows me the 'Xsane End User Licence Agreement', and after I click the
'I accept' panel
searches around and quickly gives me  'no devices available'.

It was doing this when Smart Panel and Twain were not working so I don't
think it may be
a case of the scanner being assigned to one program and denied to
another. I could be wrong.

I have gone through the 'help' list of  possible reasons for this and
the only thing which looks
plausible is  'backend is not configured correct'.

In 'C:\sane\etc\sane.d\net.conf' I used 'localhost' and '192.168.0.1' -
the localhost TCP/IP address ..

In 'C:\sane\etc\sane.d\dll.conf' the only lines enabled are 'epson' and
'gphoto2' (in case of future digital camera use) , and in

'C:\sane\etc\sane.d\epson.conf' the only uncommented lines are

'usb 0x04b8 0x010c' and 'usb /dev/usb/scanner0'

Are there any obvious errors here ? Confusion of backward and forward slashes ?

One thing I came across in reading WinXP help files was that Twain does not work
after the scanner is disconnected (as in re-plugging with Linux hotplug). It then has to be
reinstalled via XP's 'New Hardware Install' wizard.

Could this be contributing here ?

It's frustrating having a fine program like xsane not working in XP.

Adam Bogacki,
afb@paradise.net.nz