[sane-devel] UMAX 2000 (HP3200c) scanner problems

Gian Paolo Mureddu Thetargos@tutopia.com
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:45:27 -0500

I had my UMAX 2000 branded HP 3200c (Parallel port) scanner working with
SANE just fine after I edited the /etc/sane.d/dll.conf file to also look
for this scanner, however (I don't know if it was coincidence or not, or
if it has to do with the problem or not) after I upgreded my
distribution (FC2) especially the GIMP to version 2.0.5 from 2.0.4, I
could scan an image just fine, however while working on the scanned
image (not yet saved) GIMP crashed (while xsane was still running). I
tried to re-open xsane through GIMP, but xsane could not find my scanner
anymore. When I tried running xsane or scanimage from the command line I
get this output:

[umax_pp_low] SendWord failed  got 0xE8 instead of 0xC0 or 0xD0
(umax_pp_low.c:3281)
[umax_pp_low] Blindly going on .....
[umax_pp_low] SendData failed  got 0xE8 instead of 0xC0 or 0xD0
(umax_pp_low.c:3933)
[umax_pp_low] Blindly going on .....
[umax_pp_low] SendWord failed  got 0xE8 instead of 0xC0 or 0xD0
(umax_pp_low.c:3281)
[umax_pp_low] Blindly going on .....
[umax_pp_low] SendData failed  got 0xE8 instead of 0xC0 or 0xD0
(umax_pp_low.c:3933)
[umax_pp_low] Blindly going on .....
[umax_pp_low] SendWord failed  got 0xE8 instead of 0xC0 or 0xD0
(umax_pp_low.c:3281)
[umax_pp_low] Blindly going on .....
[umax_pp_low] Unexpected reg19: 0xE8 instead of 0xC0 or 0xD0
(umax_pp_low.c:3980)
[umax_pp_low] CmdSetDataBuffer(initbuf) failed ! (umax_pp_low.c:5950)
scanimage: no SANE devices found

What does this mean?

Just for reference, the way I have setup the scanner is as follows: The
scanner is attached to my Zip drive (parallel port also) which is
connected to the parallel port (lp0)  on the computer, no printer is
setup in the parallel port (I use an USB one). The parallel port is set
to ECP and at an auto configured port in BIOS. Could this configuration
be the conflicting point, even though it *was* working right? What can I
do to have it working again?

Thanks in advance for any input.