[sane-devel] UMAX 2000 (HP3200c) scanner problems

svoltz@wanadoo.fr svoltz@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:09:46 +0200

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 07:45:27PM -0500, Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> I had my UMAX 2000 branded HP 3200c (Parallel port) scanner working with
> SANE just fine after I edited the /etc/sane.d/dll.conf file to also look
> for this scanner, however (I don't know if it was coincidence or not, or
> if it has to do with the problem or not) after I upgreded my
> distribution (FC2) especially the GIMP to version 2.0.5 from 2.0.4, I
> could scan an image just fine, however while working on the scanned
> image (not yet saved) GIMP crashed (while xsane was still running). I
> tried to re-open xsane through GIMP, but xsane could not find my scanner
> anymore. When I tried running xsane or scanimage from the command line I
> get this output:
>
> [umax_pp_low] SendWord failed  got 0xE8 instead of 0xC0 or 0xD0
> (umax_pp_low.c:3281)
> [umax_pp_low] Blindly going on .....
> [umax_pp_low] SendData failed  got 0xE8 instead of 0xC0 or 0xD0
> (umax_pp_low.c:3933)
> [umax_pp_low] Blindly going on .....
> [umax_pp_low] SendWord failed  got 0xE8 instead of 0xC0 or 0xD0
> (umax_pp_low.c:3281)
> [umax_pp_low] Blindly going on .....
> [umax_pp_low] SendData failed  got 0xE8 instead of 0xC0 or 0xD0
> (umax_pp_low.c:3933)
> [umax_pp_low] Blindly going on .....
> [umax_pp_low] SendWord failed  got 0xE8 instead of 0xC0 or 0xD0
> (umax_pp_low.c:3281)
> [umax_pp_low] Blindly going on .....
> [umax_pp_low] Unexpected reg19: 0xE8 instead of 0xC0 or 0xD0
> (umax_pp_low.c:3980)
> [umax_pp_low] CmdSetDataBuffer(initbuf) failed ! (umax_pp_low.c:5950)
> scanimage: no SANE devices found
>
> What does this mean?
>
> Just for reference, the way I have setup the scanner is as follows: The
> scanner is attached to my Zip drive (parallel port also) which is
> connected to the parallel port (lp0)  on the computer, no printer is
> setup in the parallel port (I use an USB one). The parallel port is set
> to ECP and at an auto configured port in BIOS. Could this configuration
> be the conflicting point, even though it *was* working right? What can I
> do to have it working again?
>
> Thanks in advance for any input.

	When you get 0xE8 or 0xD8 values, the scanner's ASIC is confused
and needs resetting. It can be done by powering off the scanner, unplugging
the parallel port cable, plugging it back then powering on.
	The ASIC gets confused each time a command in progress fails, in your
case it's certainly caused by the GIMP crash wich prevented the the backend
to finish cleanly the scan.

Regards,
	Stef