[sane-devel] FC 2, hotplug and sane

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:34:16 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 03:30:00PM +0200, Torben Andersen wrote:
> I've installed a FC2 and updated. I can use sane, but only as root. I've
> been googling and reading and narrowed the problem to the USB interface
> to my Epson scanner. According to
> http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux, hotplug (which is compiled in
> the kernel) and /etc/hotplug/usb/libusbscanner (pasted in below
> signature) should  enable useracces to the scanner, if
>
> "Usually you must just add the users that are allowed to access the scanner
> to group "scanner""
>
> I don't know how to do that.

man gpasswd
man usermod
man groups
man group

> If I unplug and plug the scanner, user acces is allowed,

In this case hotplug is set up correctly.

>but not on boot up !

I have heard rumors about this problem and was told that "coldplug"
would help.

But:

> #!/bin/bash
> # $Id: libusbscanner,v 1.1 2004/05/04 13:05:27 twaugh Exp $

This is not the libusbscanner script from the sane-backends package.
It doesn't seem to work by using groups but by giving access to the
scanner to anyone who is logged-in locally. Quite strange.
Anyway, for details ask your distributor.

I haven't looked at the details but if the device is plugged-in while
nobody is logged in I guess only root can access it. Or do I
misunderstand the script?