[sane-devel] Suse9.1, sym53c8xx and umaxscanner, help from Abel

Wolfram Heider wolframheider@web.de
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 04:27:54 +0200

Hello list,

with updating to Suse 9.1 I got a lot of trouble with my scanner, a vernerable
umax 1220 S, connected via the sym53c8xx module, which had worked absolutely
flawlessly till then. The module wasn't loaded ast boottime, the scanner
because of this not regonized. Module loading by hand lasted extremely long
and unloading wasn't just impossible. The same procedure with additional
parameters brought but little relief - the scanner remained dead.
I talked about this problem and the problems I faced during the initial setup
of Suse 9.1, when automatic installation didn't work, because Yast searched
for a scsi-harddrive that didn't exist (the only client of the controller was
the scanner), with Abel Deuring. He proposed to focus on the coldplug script
and to switch it off for tresting. And that was it. There must be something
considerably wrong in the realm of this script. So I would recommend to
everyone who also faces the Suse9.1/sym53c8xx-problem and can afford to get
on without USB-support to deactivate the
startupscript /etc/init.d/rc5./S02coldplug till the folks at Suse have done
it better.

Greetings

Wolfram Heider