[sane-devel] lprof and sane, was [Lcms-user] monitor profile questions -- adding vcgt to a profile?

Hal V. Engel hvengel@astound.net
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:04:00 -0700

--nextPart1390640.EdZTmjI0ub

In the sane-devel mailing list on 27 Jul, 2003 Gerard Klaver wrote (see=20
http://www.mostang.com/pipermail/sane-devel/2003-July/008334.html):

=C2=A8I think it (meaning lprof) should be nice if this package could be=20
used as a short of plugin package in the sane frontends. But maybe i=20
am wrong?=C2=A8

I think this is right on the money.  The lprof scanner profiler would=20
likely need some modification to make it a plugin but most of the=20
functionality would be usable as is.  In addition the front end(s)=20
would need to be enhanced to embed profiles and do conversions between=20
profiles. =20

I have two scanner packages that are ICC aware.  On Windows I have=20
SilverFast AI.  SilverFast AI will use the device profile to convert=20
the image to your selected working profile as part of the scanning=20
process.  It also has an optional feature that will let you create=20
custom profiles using an IT8 target.  I also have Vuescan Professional=20
on both Windows and Linux.  Vuescan Pro has the ability to use ICC=20
profiles and functions like SilverFast where you specify both a device=20
and working profile and your images are output having been converted=20
to the working profile.  Vuescan Pro can also create scanner profiles=20
using an IT8 target.  I believe that Vuescan uses the SANE back end on=20
linux.  So this functionality belongs in the front end.

Also scanners and cameras are almost trivial to profile.  All you need=20
is a good target, the targets data file and some software and almost=20
any user can get a good profile.  With a properly designed front end=20
it should be easy for almost any user to use this functionality.

Hal