[sane-devel] Fwd: HP scanjet IIcx /t resolution

George Georgalis George Georgalis <georgalis@gmail.com>
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 18:21:11 -0400

>Please direct questions like this to the sane-devel mailing list.

Okay, I thought this was about using hardware ROM, but if it's related
to thr driver, that's better!

From: George Georgalis <georgalis@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 14:24:20 -0400

Thanks to some help on irc I've got my HP scanjet IIcx /t working.

It's spec says 600 dpi but somewhere between 300 and 400 dpi it starts
to do double passes (exactly when it starts depends on the image). I
think I understand what's happening, though I don't know the
vocabulary to explain it (software gets a higher resolution than the
optical quality requiring multiple passes).

Anyway what I was wondering is:
1) why it would do this double take at anything less than the rated
optical resolution? -- which is 600 dpi
2) why would the image affect at which dpi the double take starts?

I came across this determining the highest dpi I could use to do a
scan quickly, ie no double takes.

I should add, it doesn't  scan everything twice, it just backs up and
rescans as little as 5% of the whole area; at resolutions above 300
dpi, more % at higher resolutions.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org