libieee1284 problems on FBSD 5.2.1 (was [sane-devel] canon_pp does not work)

Matthew Duggan stauff@guarana.org
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:42:14 +1000

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 10:19:39PM -0700, Micah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The puc driver is supposed to support "dumb" parallel PCI interface
> cards.  I tried enabling it in the kernel (even though my parport is
> onboard), no difference.  Also, I'm not sure how new this is, but FBSD
> 5.2.1 has a /dev/ppi0, which is supposed to be for ieee1284 device
> access.  Perhaps libieee1284 needs to try this instead of /dev/io?

Ok, well maybe not then.  I did look at the ppi interfaces but
unfortunately they require 1 ioctl per byte read/written.  That seemed
like a pretty bad way to go to me, so I just did direct io.  I guess I
should implement ppi as a fallback at some point, but that doesn't
really explain why direct IO isn't working..

Cheers,

- Matthew