[sane-devel] Re: (Mis)Configuring 0x04b8:0x010c

Adam Bogacki afb@paradise.net.nz
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:47:47 +1200

Using modconf I installed 'uhci-hcd' but could not find 'usbfs'.

I've mounted both on /etc/fstab

> none            /proc/bus/usb   usbfs   defaults                0       0
>
> none            /proc/bus/usb   uhci-hcd defaults               0       0

and now I find

> Tux:/proc/bus/usb# ls
> 001  devices

and sane-find-scanner can now FIND it ...

> adam@Tux:~$ sane-find-scanner
>
>   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
> sure that
>   # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>   # Also you need support for SCSI Generic (sg) in your operating system.
>   # If using Linux, try "modprobe sg".
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x010c) at libusb:001:003
>   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
> supported by
>   # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

but 'scanimage -L' does not ...

> adam@Tux:~$ scanimage -L
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

... nor does xsane. ["No devices available"] nor GIMP
(File->Acquire->Xsane),

and iscan tells me

"Could not send command to scanner."
"Check the scanner's status."

The missing ingredient may be 'usbfs' which should be part of the kernel.

The scanner is plugged in and powered on.

What am I missing here ?

Adam Bogacki,
afb@paradise.net.nz

So near, and yet so far ...