[sane-devel] In praise of 'sane-troubleshoot' ...

Adam Bogacki afb@paradise.net.nz
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:37:34 +1200

Henning, I'm an admirer of 'sane-troubleshoot'.

Working through it helped me isolate and work through problems
 to the point where sane-find-scanner and scanimage -L
work - as root and user - and I can 'scanimage>image.pnm'
successfully ... but xsane tells me 'no devices available'.

I also  installed hotplug which gives user privileges when
the plug goes in.

One thing I'm not sure of is the correct place to put
the epson backend directory. 'sane-troubleshoot'
told me that the previous backend was old so I
downloaded the latest one from
http://www.khk.net/sane
untarred  it in /home/adam and moved
it to /usr/local/lib/backend but 'sane-troubleshoot'
only found the one in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
and could not find the scanner (which it had before
I 'updated' the backend).

I won't attach the large log unless you request it.

Adam Bogacki,
afb@paradise.net.nz