[sane-devel] Progress on HP ScanJet 4600?

Scott gnea@garson.org
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 02:20:42 -0400

Ethan,
I'll be the first to admit, I didn't have the time to check the list on
that page at the time.  It doesn't look like the scanjet will actually
be supported anytime soon unless someone can figure out how to RE it, in
which case HP sales might just go up... sorry about that, and good luck!
-Scott

* Ethan Glasser-Camp (glasse@rpi.edu) cobbled forth:

> I'm a little skeptical that the hpoj backend supports the scanner in
> question. See http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/suplist.shtml . Note, under
> Unsupported Devices: "HP ScanJets (single-function scanners) are not
> supported by this project. SANE may or may not support your model."
>
> I see that the newer scanners, including (I think) this one, don't use
> SCL [1], like older HP scanners. Apparently, the people at Vuescan also
> find that the protocol used to control the scanner is too complicated to
> reverse-engineer. So, I conclude, no love for the ScanJet 4600?
>
> [1] http://www.usenews.org/group/comp.periphs.scanners/message-6587.html
> --
> Ethan Glasser-Camp, self-styled Computersman

         .oO Gnea [gnea at garson dot org] Oo.
            .oO url [http://gnea.net] Oo.

"You can tune a filesystem, but you can't tune a fish." -Kirk McKusick