[sane-devel] Progress on HP ScanJet 4600?

Ethan Glasser-Camp glasse@rpi.edu
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:15:34 -0400

--------------enig2BC8D2E955A606096C4BE02B

Thank you for your rapid response! (Sorry I didn't do as well regarding
timeliness.)

Bertrik Sikken wrote:
> The scanner search engine at sane-project.org has some info on the USB
> configuration of this device and even a link to an USB log.
> I'll have a look at the log.

I had a look at it too. Of course, I didn't get much out of it, because
  I didn't know what I was looking for.

> It may help to check the .inf file in the windows driver package and
> see if any other scanners besides the 4600 are supported by that driver.

I looked at the inf file, and if I'm reading it right, there's no other
scanners supported by it. I'm not sure how much of the file I can
actually reference in this email without violating copyright, but I
think the only models of scanner mentioned in it are the HP4600.

> If you're really courageous, you can open the scanner and take note
> of the chips inside it.

I don't have access to the scanner, and my friend (who does) isn't quite
brave enough. If I get access to the hardware later, I'll certainly let
you know, but it seems unlikely yet.

On the subject of reverse-engineering the driver -- I understand that I
have no experience with this sort of thing at all, so feel free to say,
"No, that's hopelessly naive" -- but since there *is* a USB log, can't
we just pluck out bits and pieces of it and try to send them to the
scanner and see what happens, and reverse-engineer it that way? Some
brittle shell script or something that scans something sometimes would
certainly be a first step. (Of course, it would be hard to progress past
  that with only one USB log, wouldn't it?)

Thanks again for your time.
--
Ethan Glasser-Camp, self-styled Computersman