[sane-devel] umax_pp slow

Joe Henley joehenley@kc.rr.com
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:05:33 -0500

Hi,

I got the lastest version (patch) of umax_pp working on the latest
version of Sane and XSane; those, in turn, run on Red Hat 9 Linux.  I'm
using an Astra 2000P scanner.  The umax_pp config file uses:  port
/dev/parport0.  The BIOS is set for EPP (ECP is not available in my BIOS).

When I try to scan something at 300 DPI the scanner does a "four steps
forward, one step back" dance.  It takes a long time to complete the
scan.  If I scan at 150 DPI, the scanner does it all in one pass,
without the "dance."  If I dual boot into Win98 and use the scanner at
300 DPI, no dance.

Does anyone know how to get my scanner to scan at 300 DPI quickly, in
Linux -- like it does in Win98?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Joe Henley