[sane-devel] epson 2580 problems

scott fagg scottf@bigpond.net.au
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:52:27 +1000

I recently purchased an epson 2580. Machines works fine with win2k. On
same hardware (dual-boot PC) i'm not having much luck with it under linux.

I have actually managed to get a couple of scans out of it, but i don't
seem to be able to do that any more. Previews in xsane have never
worked, in fact the preview just seems to be the most recently scanned
area stretched vertically to fit the entire scanable area.

Generally the scanner can be found, but tools like 'scanimage' and
'sane-find-scanner' but any attempt to extract an image form the scanner
generally involves either the app failing after a long period (e.g.
scanimage) or just hanging (xsane).

I'm now experiencing a 100% failure rate.

So how do i help to get this scanner working ? I'm happy to test code
from CVS, provide logs, debug output etc if that helps.

I'm using :

- FC2
- 2.6.7 kernel from kernel.org
- sane-backends 1.0.4 from CVS ( from yesterday )
- sane-frontends 1.0.3
- firmware from iscan distributed by epson/epkowa (esfw32.bin)
- firmware from CD shipped with scanner (esfw41.bin)

- "sane-find-scanner" gives me :

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0121 [EPSON
Scanner]) at libusb:001:006

- "scanimage -L" gives me :

device `snapscan:libusb:001:006' is a EPSON EPSON Scanner flatbed scanner

- "scanimage > /tmp/junkimage.bin" gives me :

[snapscan] Scanner warming up - waiting 9 seconds.
[snapscan] Scanner warming up - waiting 33 seconds.
scanimage: sane_start: Error during device I/O

This usually takes more than 9 + 33 seconds to happen

- "dmesg" shows things like :

Sep 30 19:43:51 kai kernel: usb 1-4: new full speed USB device using
address 6
Sep 30 19:46:54 kai kernel: usb 1-4: bulk timeout on ep1in
Sep 30 19:46:54 kai kernel: usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 6 ep 0x81
len 4096 ret -110

I also sometimes see these :

usb 1-4: bulk timeout on ep1in
usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x81 len 4096 ret -110
usb 1-4: bulk timeout on ep2out
usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x2 len 6 ret -110
usb 1-4: bulk timeout on ep2out
usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x2 len 6 ret -110
usb 1-4: USB disconnect, address 3