[sane-devel] Re: connecting to Epson PX-A550 (CX4600)

David D. Smith davidsmith@acm.org
Sat, 09 Apr 2005 04:13:56 +0900

--=-=-=

 "Olaf" =3D=3D Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen@avasys.jp> writes:

  Olaf> Please note that the epkowa backend is NOT part of
  Olaf> sane-backends.  It is part of Image Scan! for Linux (and
  Olaf> Debian's libsane-extras package =3D 1.0.15.8).  From your log it
  Olaf> looks like you're using the latter.

Correct, I compiled from the Debian libsane-extras=3D1.0.15.8 sources
with debugging so I could trace scanimage in gdb. Should I try CVS?

  >> [epkowa] send buf, size =3D 2
  >> [epkowa] buf[0] 1b .
  >> [epkowa] buf[1] 40 @
  >> [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_write_bulk: trying to write 2 bytes
  >> [sanei_usb] 0000: 1B 40 .@..............  USB error: error
  >> submitting URB: No such file or directory

  Olaf> Looks like there is something fishy with your USB.  Does the
  Olaf> device listed above (in this log libusb:002:014) exist?  That
  Olaf> is, does /proc/bus/usb/002/014 exist?  What permissions are
  Olaf> set on /proc/bus/usb/002?

Yes, the device is present. The permissions are 644 root:root but if I
run the test as root or if I change the perms to 664 root:users (and
I'm in the users group), it fails either way with the same log,
"submitting URB: No such file or directory."

  Olaf> FYI, on Debian testing, your scanner works fine with this
  Olaf> version of the epkowa backend and kernel version 2.6.8.  #
  Olaf> Compiled from the Image Scan! for Linux sources.

I have a feeling it's something fishy with my USB host controller,
although it has worked perfectly since 2.6.9 with anything I throw at
it, but it could just be my laptop. Do you know how I can debug this
further or get you more information? Everything that I can see with
gdb and strace looks fine.
=2D-=20
  David D. Smith
A man without doubt is a monster.