[sane-devel] CanoScan D660U blue image + jamming light

vesse@utsjokelainen.com vesse@utsjokelainen.com
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:55:30 +0300

Hi all,

I have a CanoScan D660U -scanner. I've been using xsane from Debian for scanning
for a while. When I first started using it, it worked like a charm. But, after a
while (don't remember when) it started to jam the light. Scanning went fine, but
when the light was about to be placed on it's rest position, it always jammed
and I had to close xsane. Xsane did not close, so I had to unplug the USB cord,
after which xsane closed. Then I replugged it, restarted xsane and it started to
move the light towards its place, and then jammed again. I had to do the same
procedure as many times as necessary until the light was back on it's place.

This was a bearable problem. But now, all the images I scan have begun to be
blue. I don't think this is a problem with my hardware, since I've changed the
whole computer (except the scanner) and now I'm using pure64-port of Debian and
it's xsane. When I first installed the system a week ago or so, the jamming
existed but scanning worked just fine. After a while the blue image problem
occurred. So now I cannot use xsane for scanning since the blue images are
useless to me. I have deleted all previous settings, but it had no effect.
However, if I scan images in Windows using the ScanGear Toolbox from Canon,
everything works just fine - so the scanner itself is not broken. The sane
versions I'm using (from the Debian pure64-port) are the following:

ii  libsane        1.0.15-8       API library for scanners
ii  libsane-extras 1.0.15.9       API library for scanners -- extra backends
ii  sane-utils     1.0.15-8       API library for scanners -- utilities
ii  xsane          0.97-3         GTK+-based X11 frontend for SANE (Scanner Ac
ii  xsane-common   0.97-3         GTK+-based X11 frontend for SANE (Scanner Ac

I'm running Linux kernel v. 2.6.11.6. So, the main question I have is that is
this a problem I could do something about, or is this a bug (or something) in
sane or in my scanner? I know that Canon is very lame with Linux support, but
xsane has worked for me before and it was really nice when I did not need to
boot to Windows to scan images. I could still live with the jamming problem,
but since all images are now blue, scanning in Linux is useless to me now.

Best regards,
vesse

This mail sent through L-secure: http://www.l-secure.net/