[sane-devel] Scan slow to start on Canon N670U (plustek)

Jon Niehof jon_niehof@yahoo.com
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:59:12 -0700 (PDT)

First off, I apologize for my impatience. Caching the
calibration certainly makes a difference.

300 dpi 230x150mm grey scans, with the lamp left on and thus
warmup time set to zero:

no caching, full calibration:
1m12.999s
cache coarse:
57.469s
no calibration:
50.729s (and, indeed, ugly lines)

With no calibration at all, there are still about five seconds
of head activity before the scan starts--move out from the rest
position, back, blink lamp, pause, then start. So I see 12
seconds of *potential* savings here, which on a 200-page book is
40 minutes. If I can do something to get those 12 seconds back
it'd help a lot :) (if not, well, I live with it).

I didn't see an option in plustek.conf for debugging output, and
the -v option for scanimage wasn't particularly verbose.