[sane-devel] Visioneer 4800 USB scanner

gerard klaver gerard@gkall.hobby.nl
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 09:34:00 +0200

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 00:30 +0100, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting conflicting noises here. The sane website says that the
> Visioneer 4800 isn't supported, yet when I start xsane it is reporting
> the scanner as a Primax Colorado 300 flatbed scanner. Which is correct?
>
> I have a feeling that it's the website as despite the light being on, if
> I try to get a preview, nothing happens (other than an error).
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

Sometimes different labels are given to a scanner with the same usb vid
and pid. So sometimes only the first name is displayed.
The Primax Colorado 300 is listed as a par. port scanner so why you get
that name, no idea.

The Visioneer 4800 uses the RTS8801B scanner chip according to this
page:
http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/visioneer-onetouch4800.html

Some other scanners contain also the RTS8801B or C1 or C2 scanner
see for example:
http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/visioneer-onetouch5800.html

I don't know if there is a big difference between the B version
and the C1/C2 version.

The RTS8891 is supported by the hp_rts88xx backend see the following
links:

http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html#S-HP-RTS88XX

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/libsane-extras

http://hp44x0backend.sourceforge.net/

The RTS8801C1 is also mentioned on that page with remark support is
planned for the RTS8801 (HP35xx scanner)

So your scanner is unsupported at the moment but some work seems to be
done to get it supported.

--
--------
m.vr.gr.