[sane-devel] Scanning in FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE, niash, and a busy signal

Anthony M. Agelastos iqgrande@asu.edu
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:38:12 -0400

Hello all,

My HP ScanJet 3300C will not scan due to being busy. I followed the
steps of the FreeBSD manual and will show its output below in the event
that it may help. I should note that the configuration is as follows:

FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE // GENERIC KERNEL
Pentium III, 450 MHz

If I had to guess the problem, I would say that it is possible that the
niash driver (that is the sane-backend for this scanner) does not work
well with FreeBSD's kernel driver, the kernel driver and libusb do not
coexist well, or scanimage is only trying to use libusb and the kernel
driver is not allowing it to. I know when I installed sane-backends
(make && make install && make clean with a fully-updated Ports tree),
it installed libusb as well, and I know this scanner works with libusb
(I have gotten it to work on Mac OS X this way), hence my above
conclusion. Does anyone have any other input on this? I should also
note that I am root running these commands and that I have rebooted
since plugging it in just in case.

sane-find-scanner -q
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0205) at /dev/uscanner0

scanimage -L
device `niash:/dev/uscanner0' is a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3300C
flatbed scanner

scanimage > image.pnm
scanimage: open of device niash:/dev/uscanner0 failed: Device busy