[sane-devel] Need recomendation linux/sane compat scanner w/fast 2bit/greyscale ADF

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:34:47 -0400 (EDT)

i only know fujitsu models, so i am sure there are others, but the
fi-4120C2 is pretty fast, and the sane support is ok for binary and
grayscale. scsi support is better than usb, but both work. it would be
better if it had a flat adf instead of the vertical one, it does jam
occasionally. the usb issues seem more linux kernel dependent than sane.
2.4 with libusb has worked better than the early 2.6 kernels, but the
recent 2.6.10+ seems to be fine (finally, some 'stable' series this is :)

i am currently re-writing a proprietary app that talks to this device (and
the older 4120C ) and know a bit more about making it behave than i used
to. if i find some spare cycles, i will spend some time getting sane to
play nicer with color, duplex, etc. not sure when that will be.

we have 100 or so of the 4120C in the field, and have scanned an avg of
4000 sheets on each over the last 7 months, with some units being closer
to twice that. no hardware failures, aside from the usual cleanings, but
we did have one unit that had loose screws holding the adf motor in.

allan