[sane-devel] STI, USB in Wine

Earle F. Philhower, III earlephilhower@yahoo.com
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:59:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Damjan,

--- Damjan Jovanovic <dj015@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't know how many of you follow the wine-devel
> mailing list, but to get my scanner (Microtek
> ScanMaker 3800) working under Linux (after months of
> unsuccessful reverse-engeneering) I've decided to add
> STI (Still Image) and libusb support to Wine.
> I am looking for:
> 1. Someone with good knowledge of Windows to help me
> with either of those.
> 2. Some SANE-to-TWAIN converter that would allow wine
> + Windows drivers to be used as a SANE backend.
> 3. Ideas and suggestions.

If you already have access to a Windows box, it will be easier
to just capture a logfile with usbsnoopy instead of trying
to beat the Microtek driver into compliance with Wine.  Just
a couple logfiles should give you enough info to at least do
a simple scan w/o calibration or configuration...

FWIW, the sm3840 driver seems to be able to everything except
set the right stepper motor controls to move the head along.
A couple Russian users have been messing around with it and
things like color calibration and gain setting seem OK, and the
scanner does feed back data [albeit an image of wherever the
head is stuck].  You may want to give it a look-see at
http://www.ziplabel.com/sm3840 .  It may be as simple as
changing the motor control register value, but I don't have
a 3800 to work with...

Good luck,