[sane-devel] genesys GL841

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard@gjaeger.de
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:51:29 +0200

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 20:50, Philipp Schmid wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Stef, I think you are absolutely right with your diagnostic that the
> genesys driver (written for gl646) fails with gl841 because the
> registers of the gl841 are different to the regs from gl646.
>
> So I've shortly compared the gl841 with the gl646. The result is in the
> attached file.
>
> As far as I am concerned, I think we mainly have to adapt the functions
> handling the scanner controler registers (e.g. genesys_init_registers).
> I think we can use the whole file genesys.c and the register/memory
> write/read functions for a gl841 driver, but I don't have the overview
> to decide this.
>
> As I don't know the best way to support the gl841 controller without the
> development of parts, that are equal to gl646, I'd be glad to get some
> suggestions on this subject.
>

> Thanks for your suggestions
>
>     Philipp

Hi Philipp,

good work so far. My suggestion for making the genesys backend GL841
aware is to identifiy functions, which needs to be changed so that they
will work with the GL841 too. Then these functions needs to be rewritten
AND will occure two times in the backend. The reference to these functions
will be done by pointers, which will be set in the device-specific structure.
A similar approach has been done in the gt68xx backend.

Ciao,
Gerhard