[sane-devel] configure broken for gcc 4.0

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Mon Aug 1 18:00:37 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 09:01:28PM +0200, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> The configure script is broken for gcc 4.0, and will incorrectly
> report that gcc is unable to produce PIC shared libraries, or use the
> -o option, among other things.

Could you check again with latest CVS? Looks like disabling
compilation warnings has "fixed" that. At least I cannot reproduce it
with warnings disabled.

> The problem is that CPPFLAGS is defined before the libtool checks are
> performed, and that CPPFLAGS contains references to Makefile variables
> which are then passed as is to gcc.

... and which complains about them in a warning message because of one
of the warning options ...

> ---- 8< snip ----
> configure:13304: checking if i486-linux-gnu-gcc PIC flag -fPIC works
> configure:13322: i486-linux-gnu-gcc -c -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wstrict-prot\
> otypes -pedantic -ansi  -DPATH_SANE_CONFIG_DIR=$(configdir)       -DPATH_SANE_DATA_DIR=$(datadir)         -DPATH_SANE_LOCK_DIR=$(localstatedir)           -DV_MAJOR=1 -\
> DV_MINOR=0 -I/usr/include/gphoto2   -fPIC -DPIC conftest.c >&5
> <command line>:1:22: warning: '$' in identifier or number
> configure:13326: $? = 0
> configure:13337: result: no

What I don't understand is why the result is ok (0) but still
configure doesn't like it. Is this because of the warning?

> The fix would be to either undefine CPPFLAGS when libtool runs its
> checks, or run the libtool checks before setting CPPFLAGS.

I guess we'd better move the
CPPFLAGS="${CPPFLAGS} -DPATH_SANE_CONFIG_DIR=\$(configdir) ...
lines near to the end of configure.in. But I'd wait until after the
release if the current CVS works for you.