[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 2480 Photo: firmware loading

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Sun Aug 7 11:46:25 UTC 2005

Oliver Schwartz <Oliver.Schwartz at gmx.de> wrote:

> I've reduced the size for the 2480 since I currently can't distinguish
> between 2480 and 2580. The original size may cause damages on a 2580
> since the scanner bumps into the rear end of the transparency unit.

Maybe Olaf could help here ?

As the TPU is the only difference between the two models, that would
be a mean of identifying them, at least if it is possible to determine
which option is installed on the scanner.

While speaking of the 2480, I used it with the epkowa backend
(requires evil non-free binary-only libraries), and did not have to
suffer the waiting time after the firmware loading. Would it be
possible to do something similar in the snapscan backend ?

(something like a SANE daemon to automatically load firmwares into
scanners which need it, triggered by hotplug, would be a really nice
thing to have... shouldn't be too hard to do, but requires a snippet
of code for the firmware loading for each and every scanner...)

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb at jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169