[sane-devel] latest sane screwed up my hoary box

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Mon Aug 8 13:26:35 UTC 2005

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Jon Dodson wrote:

> so i downloaded the latest sane to support my astra scanner.
>
> i ran configure, no worries, ran make, no worries.
>
> ran "sudo checkinstall -D" and my whole box went crazy.  windows
> started popping up, then all my gnome icons were X'ed out.  finally i
> can not login in it says  Cannot cd to "/home/jdodson" I cant login
> with any other user.  I downloaded sane via your website, WTF kind of
> software is this?  Some sort of trojan?
>
> it was the sanebackend 1.0.15 from here:
> ftp://ftp.sane-project.org/pub/sane/sane-backends-1.0.15/
>
> I am using an old laptop because all I can do it go into single user
> mode on my ubuntu machine, a little help here as you caused the issue
> in the first place?

woah, back off buddy. checkinstall is not part of sane. if running the
command 'checkinstall' caused all sorts of crazy problems, then i
recommend you start with that, since it presumably does not _run_ any part
of sane either.

> btw I install packages from source all the time, first issue i have ever had.

if you do this all the time, wtf is up with you not following the
directions that come with the source? the directions that dont mention
checkinstall, i might add. you went off into the weeds own your own, now
you get to find your way back to the trail on your own.

allan