[sane-devel] scanimage seg fault doing network scanning!

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Tue Aug 9 17:02:26 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 11:55:32AM +0200, Per Arnold Blåsmo wrote:
> I am trying to do a set up a server for doing scanning over the network.
> My scanner is connected to a server running FC3. Its a Xerox WorkCenter
> PE120i. I am able to use xsane on the server to scan images.

This scanner is not in our list of supported scanners as far as I can
see. Which backend do you use? Could you send the output of
sane-find-scanner and scanimage -L on the server?

> I have set up saned and doing telnet to the port works.

Which version of SANE is used on the server and which one on the
client (scanimage --version)?

> The I add go to one of the workstations and add the server name in the
> 'net.conf' file in /etc/sane.d/ folder.
>
> This is the output I get.
>
> scanimage -L
> [sanei_wire] sanei_w_array: DECODE: maximum amount of allocated memory
> exceeded (limit: 1048576, new allocation: 3180390528, total: 3181439104
> bytes)
> Segmentation fault

The first problem is that saned sent a strange value to the net
backend. The net backend has detected that. This may be caused by a
crash on the server.

The second problem is that there seems to be a bug in the detection of
such problems which leeds to a segfault. Such a bug was fixed in
sane-backends 1.0.16 but without detailed logs I can't say if it's the
same problem.

> Anybody that knows about this problem?

We need more input. A full log on the client and server side may help.

Server:
Disable saned in (x)inetd.conf
export SANE_DEBUG_BACKEND=255 (use your backend name instead of "BACKEND")
saned -d128 (must be restarted after each call)

Client:
SANE_DEBUG_NET=255 scanimage -L