[sane-devel] Epson 2480 Transparency Unit - I give up

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz at gmx.de
Wed Aug 10 20:53:45 UTC 2005

Hi,

> After several days of working on this problem, it seems obvious
> that the sane package will not support the transparency unit on the
> Epson 2480.

well, it does, at least for some versions of the 2480. Some people
have reported problems similar to yours (see, e.g.
http://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=301010&group_id=30186&atid=410366 ).
For others, the scanner seems to work perfectly (mostly using
sane-backends 1.0.15).
I have no clue why this problem occurs for some users and not for
others. As far as I know there is no correspondence to any version of
the backend. In fact the code for scanning transparencies has hardly
been changed in the last three years. I doubt that an earlier version
of the backend will solve your problem.

> After working for two days with the latest
> sane-backends package (1.0.16) and having more problems than with
> the older version, I have dropped back down to 1.0.15.  This has
> not solved my problems with the color banding on slide scans, but
> at least it works again for flatbed sources.

As I explained in another mail the reduced scanning area in
transparency mode is a security measure for 2580 users.

> Now I just have to
> decide whether to buy a machine to use as a dedicated scan server
> (Windows... Yecchhh) or buy a film scanner that is known to work on
> Linux (lots of money).

There is always a third possibility: Fix the problem.

/Oliver