[sane-devel] Umax Astra 2200 under OpenBSD?

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Wed Aug 17 17:45:33 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 07:16:29AM -0700, alancorey at yahoo.com wrote:
> I did a little more fiddling with it last night.  I
> bring the laptop to work with me so I have it here,
> but the scanner stays home.  There were a couple
> details I forgot to mention in my last posting because
> of the delay in posting.
>
> > You may need to add the USB device to umax.conf
> > manually.
> I had done this, at least I thought I did.  I've now
> commented out all the scsi stuff under "# linux device
> identification:" and the rest of the file looks like
> this:
> -------
> # Umax Astra 2200 via USB:
> # usb vendor product
> usb 0x1606 0x0230
>
> # scsi device list
> #option connection-type 1
> #/dev/scanner
>
> # usb device list
> option connection-type 2
> #/dev/uscanner0
> /dev/ugen0

Comment out the last line. If you used uscanner, you would have to add
/dev/uscanner0 here. But with libusb, it's not neccesary (and wrong).

> About all I can see as to why this would happen is
> this in the configure output:
> checking for usb_interrupt_read in -lusb... no

Your libusb is too old. 0.1.8 is minimum, 0.1.10a is current. I'll add
that version number to the SANE README, which currently says 0.1.6.

> I just did a make patch in the /usr/ports/devel/libusb
> directory so I could look at the sources, and in the
> /usr/ports/devel/libusb/w-libusb-0.1.7p2/libusb-0.1.7
> directory created, running grep usb_interrupt_read *.c
> finds nothing.  Is this a critical function?

Yes. Not for your backend, but for others.

> If I do sane-find-scanner -f -v -v /dev/ugen0 I get:

This does not work. Don't list the ugen devices directly. When libusb
is found by sane, the device will be detected automatically.

> There isn't actually any /dev/ugen0, just these:

I think that's ok. libusb knows about the exact device names.

> What user is this running as?  (I'm logged in as root
> here).  Is it not finding it because it's not world
> readable?  Or do I need to MAKEDEV an actual
> /dev/ugen0?

No.

> I was trying to turn on debugging, so I did
> setenv CFLAGS "-g -O -Wall"
> ./configure --disable-shared [and gmake and gmake
> install]
> But I don't see any difference in the
> sane-find-scanner output, even after also doing a
> setenv SANE_DEBUG_UMAX 2 (or 4).

"-v -v" turns on maximum debuging for sane-find-scanner. You can add
debugging for the sanei_usb code by doing
"setenv SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB 255" but this won't really help.