[sane-devel] Epson 2480 Transparency Unit - not for me 8-(

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz at gmx.de
Wed Aug 17 18:35:57 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 21:03, Reinald Kirchner wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I replaced the firmware 1.14 with the 1.16 I received (thanks Simon
> and Ken), but I have no change in the behaviour of my scanner. When
> I address the transparency unit, it runs into a loop. The debug
> ends repeating the attached block below over and over.
>
> Any Ideas, any advice?

Not really. The backend tries to set the scanning parameters (command
0x24). The scanner replies with an error, the backend requests the
error code, the scanner replies that it is warming up and will be
finished in 4 seconds. The backend then waits for 4 seconds and
repeats the command, but the scanner always gives the same answer.

One possibility is to ignore the return value completely. You could
try changing the loop at the end of set_window() in snapscan-scsi.c,
i.e. replace

    do {
        status = snapscan_cmd (pss->pdev->bus, pss->fd, pss->cmd,
                  SET_WINDOW_TOTAL_LEN, NULL, NULL);
    } while (status == SANE_STATUS_DEVICE_BUSY);
    CHECK_STATUS (status, me, "snapscan_cmd");
    return status;
}

with

    snapscan_cmd (pss->pdev->bus, pss->fd, pss->cmd,
                  SET_WINDOW_TOTAL_LEN, NULL, NULL);
    return SANE_STATUS_GOOD;

Then run
touch snapscan.c