[sane-devel] Scanning for VistA/ADF-scanner

Wolfram Heider wolframheider at web.de
Wed Aug 17 21:16:09 UTC 2005

Guiseppe,

Nancy meanwhile chose a Brother MFC 5440 CN (multi-functional device - cheap
but.... hmhm) and seems to be happy with it.

Since ADF-scanners are of growing importance in daily work (not only in huge
digitalization-projects as that of google) and there probably is a broader
interest for it here is a short survey of the results of the quick inquiry I
made to be able to give her some advice - only pure ADFs no MFDs and only
models currently available in store:

as you said, Fujitsu is a good address for scanners of this type. There are
really expensive models but also two ones in the affordable region:  the
Fujitsu 5110C and the 4120C (pricing from 600 to 1000 Dollars). Sane-support
is basic and as far I can see the maintainer of the backend Allan Noah is
working on further improvement.

Then: Avision. The AV 600U, AV 610 and  the AV 220 (pricing from 400 to 700
dollars) are rated good or even complete in sane-support.

Finally one may consider an Epson 3170 with an
additional offered 30-sheet-ADF-unit (total price 500 dollars) - supported by
iscan.

Maybe there are some more but surely not very much.

Hope this may of any help for those looking out for ADFs running under sane.

Greetings
Wolfram Heider