[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 3490 PHOTO

Bjorn Solberg bjorn_sane at hekneby.org
Thu Aug 18 06:17:29 UTC 2005

Oliver Schwartz writes:

> Hi,
>> I found the driver in c:/WINDOWS/system32/esfw52.bin, copied it to
>> /etc/sane.d and modified the firmware entry in snapscan.conf, and
>> now it works even after rebooting both the scanner and the
>> computer.

> Very good. Can you do some tests, e.g. do all resolutions work? Does
> the transparency unit work?

There seems to be something odd about the geometry calculations for the
driver.  I.e. when I try to scan a full page, whether I specify the full
-x and -y or simply say scanimage, it only gets the first 16.5cm for the
width and 22cm for the length rather than the full 21.5cm x 27.5cm (US
letter size).  In Windows it correctly scans the whole page though.

It wouldn't take 3200 resolution, instead giving the message "scanimage:
rounded value of resolution from 3200 to 2400" and then giving a
"scanimage: sane_start: Error during device I/O" message.  Unplugging and
replugging the USB cable was required to do another scan after that.
2400 only gives the "scanimage: sane_start: Error during device I/O"
message and it hangs for a while again.  The next step down is 1200 which
works fine, albeit slow.

I haven't tried the transparency unit yet.

The most critical issue thus seems to be that the driver doesn't copy the
whole page.  Is this something that's "easy to fix", is there any way I
can help out?

Thank you,

Bjorn.