[sane-devel] Can someone help me with getting my Mustek 1200 ED scanner working?

Wolfram Heider wolframheider at web.de
Wed Aug 24 21:50:06 UTC 2005

Am Mittwoch, 24. August 2005 19:46 schrieb Manuel Reimer:
> Hello,
>
> I've tried several things now to get my scanner working, but without
> too big success.
>
> My first try was SANE, which would also have been the best solution,
> but the "mustek_pp"-Backend only is able to switch on the light and
> "tries" to move the enging without success.
>
> At second I tried WINE. Wine is able to display the frontend of my
> scanner driver and it "fakes" scanning, but the scanner does nothing.
> The reason seems to be "msfcepp2.vxd" which seems to fail with wine.
>
> The third try was a virtual machine. As I don't want to buy VMWare
> just to get my old scanner running I patched qemu using a patch I
> found in the mailing list. I also tried to improve the code added by
> the patch, but I never succeeded with getting my scanner to scan.
>
> I'm willing to help where I can if there is any driver programmer here
> wo wants to spend some time with that, but I'm no "driver developer",
> I never developed any drivers so far, but I have some (minor)
> C++-Knowledge. As mentioned I would help where I can, but I can't
> write a driver on my own.
>
> If noone wants to help me, then it would help me if someone gives me
> some information about msfcepp2.vxd. I think for a "driver development
> newby" like me it would be easiest to try to port msfcepp2.vxd to
> linux to get the mustek drivers running with Wine.
>
> Thank you very much in advance for any answer and for any help
>
> Yours
>
> Manuel

Hello Manuel,

for the use under Wine the .vxds don't have to be ported to linux. The point
is you should have the original windows scanning-frontend that was shipped
together with the scanner. Do you? Did you run it on the commandline with
'wine /path/to/frontend.exe'? Maybe some .loc-files and .dlls have to be
copied to the proper places. The commandline should tell you which.

On my machine it works fine with an umax scanner. But it's only for fun,
sane/xsane is wolrds better.

Greetings
Wolfram Heider