[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 4490 PHOTO

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu Aug 25 01:00:52 UTC 2005

grygiel at sun52a.desy.de writes:

> Hi,
>
> today I got a Epson Perfection 4490 PHOTO scanner.
>
> [snip]
>
> Has someone experience with this scanner or can give me a hint how
> to bring this device in operation?

This scanner will neither work with the snapscan backend nor the epson
backend.  Support is _planned_ for the epkowa backend.  You have the
following options:

  use VueScan (http://www.hamrick.com/, Linux version available)
  use Windows
  use MacOS X

or if you insist on free software:

  get another (Unix/Linux supported) scanner.

FYI, the 4490 is not related to the other EPSON scanners supported by
the snapscan backend and does not speak the ESC/I protocol.  The epson
backend only works for scanners that speak ESC/I.

You can find the latest iscan via:

  http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, LAN
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/