[sane-devel] [ANN] unpaper 1.1 update

Janusz S. Bień jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Sun Aug 28 15:49:25 UTC 2005

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005  Jens Gulden <mail at jensgulden.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> unpaper version 1.1 has been released. unpaper is a tool for
> post-processing scanned book pages.
>
> Some new features at a glance:

> - Resize to specific sheet sizes ('a4', 'letter', ...), zoom, stretch.

Can this feature be used to actually reduce the resolution of scanned
pages?

I have large dictionary (15 volumes) scanned as 600 dpi TIFF files, you can
have a look at it in DjVu format at

        http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/polszczyzna/SGKPi/tomy.html

On some stage of processing I would like to reduce resolution to 400
or 300 dpi, to speed downloading paging for viewing, and also hoping
it will fit on CD instead of DVD. My first idea was ImaMagic
`convert', so I posted a query on ImagicMagic list

        http://studio.imagemagick.org/pipermail/magick-users/2005-August/016021.html

I have also posted a similar query on DjVu forum:

        https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3313948

To my surprise, I got no constructive answer. Is this task so difficult?

Best regards

Janusz

P.S. The problem we discussed on the list in June seems to be solved by scanning
the document again by a more careful and better qualified person.

--
                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)