[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 4490 PHOTO

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Aug 29 01:12:14 UTC 2005

Gerhard Grygiel <grygiel at sun52a.desy.de> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 08:54:41AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> Rayudu Addagarla <rayuduak at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hai
>> > Seems this problem was there in epson backend years back,
>> > see this list from november 2001.
>> > http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2001-November/000875.html
>> > I have no other suggestions now, but if i find will post.
>>
>> The mail mentioned concerns the Perfection 1200 which _is_ supported
>> by the epson and epkowa backends.  As I already mentioned in another
>> mail, the Perfection 4490 will not be supported by the epson backend.
>> Support is planned for the epkowa backend and will require an closed
>> source library.
> I tried to use VueScan, but it dosen't work. VueScan mentioned that
> aditional software and firmware is required. The firmware one can find
> on the manufacturer CD, but the lib "libesint54.so" should come from
> the iscan package. There is no libesint54.so in the newest iscan
> package.

As I already mentioned, somebody jumped the gun.  The people who make
VueScan never contacted us about using the various libesint*.so and
simply seem to have assumed that iscan already includes libesint54.so.
It does not, neither will the next release.

> Thanks for your effort. I should buy an other scanner.

If you decide to, please check the list of supported devices on the
SANE site.  That'll save you some disappointment.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, LAN
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/