[sane-devel] scanning an entire A4 page under commandline

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard at gjaeger.de
Wed Aug 31 07:11:11 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 16:05, Aldo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am vision impaired and I can only use the console under Gnu/Linux.
> I've tried to scan, doing:
> scanimage -v --format tiff >outputfile.tif
>
> It works but the scanner only picks a portion of 248x256 pixels at
> 24-bit, while there is no any option mentionned in the man page to tell
> scanimage that it is a full (A4) page.
>
> Someone an idea?
>
> Info:
> distribution is Debian Sarge,
> with libsane and sane-utils (sufficient to scan uner commandline),
> v. 1.0.15-9
> And scanner is CanoScan LiDE20.
>
> My partner hadn't tested under xsane yet, due to the discussion here
> about "broken" driver;
> I'm temporarily doing tests from the console.
>
> Aldo.

the default area of the plustek backend is NOT A4, it's exactly the small
portion you currently see.
You might use scanimage --help to see the available options, i.e.:
[SNIPSNAP]
Geometry:
    -l 0..215mm [0]
        Top-left x position of scan area.
    -t 0..297mm [0]
        Top-left y position of scan area.
    -x 0..215mm [126]
        Width of scan-area.
    -y 0..297mm [76.21]
        Height of scan-area.

Here you see the default area in brackets.
scanimage -x 215 -y 297 -format tiff >outputfile.tif
should give you the expected result.

HTH
Gerhard