[sane-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Code freeze for sane-backends 1.0.17

Mogens Jaeger mogensjaeger at get2net.dk
Sun Dec 11 20:36:05 UTC 2005

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>Code freeze for sane-backends 1.0.17 is now active.  After code freeze
>only fixes of grave bugs that render a backend completely unusable or
>break compilation and documentation updates are accepted.

Hopes that this is 'covered' with the "documentation updates" clause.

I am using an Epson scanner, so the problems are Epson-specifik.
In the XSane window, called 'Standard options'.
When I point on the sharpness tab, I get a yellow box, showing me the
header of the sane-backends 1.0.17.da.po file.
As far as I can find out, the problem lies in the
"sane-backends/backend/epson.c" file. The other tab in the window
(brightness) shows the right explanation. I have cut/pasted the
respective line from the mentioned file here:

(2862-2865)
  /* sharpness */
  s->opt[OPT_SHARPNESS].name = "sharpness";
  s->opt[OPT_SHARPNESS].title = SANE_I18N ("Sharpness");
  s->opt[OPT_SHARPNESS].desc = "";

(2846-2849)
  /* brightness */
  s->opt[OPT_BRIGHTNESS].name = SANE_NAME_BRIGHTNESS;
  s->opt[OPT_BRIGHTNESS].title = SANE_TITLE_BRIGHTNESS;
  s->opt[OPT_BRIGHTNESS].desc = SANE_I18N ("Selects the brightness.");

In the same window you can choose bit-depth, and values are either 8 or
16. But in the explanation box, it's "1 for \"line-art\" and 8 for
multibit scans."

It shows to the file sane-backends/include/sane/saneopts.h:219
(218-220):

#define SANE_DESC_BIT_DEPTH \
SANE_I18N("Number of bits per sample, typical values are 1 for
\"line-art\" " \
"and 8 for multibit scans.")

In the window Advanced Options:
The explanation box for: Preview/Speed also shows header info.
Again it is in the "sane-backends/backend/epson.c" file.

(3199-3202)
  /* preview speed */
  s->opt[OPT_PREVIEW_SPEED].name = "preview-speed";
  s->opt[OPT_PREVIEW_SPEED].title = SANE_I18N ("Speed");
  s->opt[OPT_PREVIEW_SPEED].desc = "";

same window, box for: Quick format you can choose between different
media-formats like Letter/A4/... an so on, but no explanation:

It has with the "sane-backends/backend/epson.c" file to do. The values
are defined as:

(756-764)
static const SANE_String_Const qf_list[] = {
  SANE_I18N ("CD"),
  SANE_I18N ("A5 portrait"),
  SANE_I18N ("A5 landscape"),
  SANE_I18N ("Letter"),
  SANE_I18N ("A4"),
  SANE_I18N ("Max"),
  NULL
};

but where the missing text schould be, I can't find out.

It's no big issue, but still hopes it's a minor task to correct it ;-)
so we can have it the right way, in the upcomming versions.
--
mvh Mogens Jæger